Sunday, October 19, 2008

Letter #8


Letter #8, October 12, 2008
Sunday, October 12, 2008 –Dad - This Sunday in China is also conference weekend. The DVD of the General Conference did not come. So, all in the branch were invited to see the last two sessions of conference at our Branch Presidents home. They downloaded the conference sessions from LDS.org but as we were watching them part way through the sound began to split and breakup. We had to download it again to correct the issue but the same happened. Sad, we so wanted to see and hear the sessions. We had a potluck with sloppy Joes, potatoes salad, fruit salad, cobbler for desert with water to drink. Good ole American food – hope I can live through the Chinese food. We have a Chinese national in the branch who is married to an American and she heard all of the sickness which many of us Americans were suffering with and went directly to the drug store and purchased pills which would stop all the diarrhea. It cost $.40 and it will certainly stop my next bout. It is an antibiotic medication over the counter. Yea – I will use it when I have lost five pounds first from the diarrhea – just kidding. I began typing again on my Air Force journal (l981).
Monday, October 13, 2008 – Mom – Today we finished preparing our lesson plan for the week, had the maid come (I really really like having a maid!!), took a taxi to Metro (usually we walk, but my foot is not ready for long distances yet), did some laundry, and Dad went to buy some fresh vegetables. We have to wash all vegetables with a soap solution unless we peel them. We had a grilled ham and cheese sandwich for dinner with tomatoes and cucumbers. Yummy! The Metro store has many items imported from the US – so we really like going there. We bought a pancake mix, microwave popcorn, Pringles chips and snickers. We bought other healthy things too, but those were the American stuff that we were glad to buy. Dad is feeling much better and my foot is getting better, but still has to heal. It was a sunshiny day and even a little warm. We have been wearing our long sleeves and jackets the past week.
Tuesday, October 14, 2008 – Dad – I had a Chinese teacher contact me and wanted to change the times of one of my classes to help them in their schedule. Sure, why not. We have been knee deep in paperwork this evening trying to keep our rolls straight. Mom had some different students come into her class unknowingly. A mess. Mom got her first Chinese hair cut today – not sure she liked it. A nice blueish day today.
Wednesday, October 15, 2008 – Mom – We got our flu shot today. Six of us went together with Lin Chou, a waiban. The clinic is not a place I ever want to visit when I am sick!!! The procedure is we pay 80 yuan each (which is about $22) at the window first. We are each given a box that contains the shot needle and walk down the dreary and stinky hall to a room where two nurses give us the shot. We were told that we should not shower until tomorrow (???????) The students have turned in their first assignment which was an information form to include pictures and little about each of them. It has been very interesting to us. This is the first time many of the students have been away from their small country village and miss their families very much. One girl mentioned that her parents were peasants and work hard in the fields. Many have said they are a poor family, but are very happy. One girl said her parents work long hours because she also has a brother at another university and she feels like she is a burden to her parents. The students are so sincere and eager to learn English. One of my students said that her dream was to have an American foreign teacher and now her dream has come true. How can we not love these sweet children of our Heavenly Father.
Thursday, October 16, 2008 – Dad – Another school day. Tonight I went to “English Corner” and Mom remained behind due to her ankle. At the “corner” the natural English speakers go to a square at the University, stand for a moment and in a few minutes we are surrounded by several students. The main topics that they wanted to hear was politics and who I would vote for; the environment, specifically water and air; and the ownership of land in the US vs. China. These students are very sharp and speak very well. This government and culture is improving and will in the near future be a super power.
Friday, October 17, 2008 – Mom- We taught the same lesson for the 7th and 8th time today. We usually have perfected the lesson quite well by Friday. The students really like the American way of teaching because there is a lot more involvement and activity compared to what they are used to. Chinese students do not raise their hands to answer or ask a question. They will ask privately later. Chinese students do respond to questions that I ask by an answer in unison. If a student is late, or even if I am in the classroom early, they will not cross the threshold of the door until “the teacher” invites them to come in. This week, I found the faculty lounge on the 3rd floor and that is where I learned that the teachers do not enter the classroom until 1 minute after the time the class should start. Since the students do not change a classroom, that is their only time for a break or to eat their breakfast, etc. When the teacher walks in the classroom, everyone comes to attention and puts away anything they were doing. It was a cool day with rain in the afternoon. We spent the evening preparing next week’s lesson and then I worked on my sacrament talk and primary lesson for Sunday. Another thing I learned – While in the teacher’s lounge, one of the Chinese teachers told me that soon it would be cold and we would need to wear our coats in the classroom because there is not much heat. Then she said, “I hear in America that you have enough heat in your homes that you can wear only a T-shirt.” I told her that each classroom had a temperature control – so one room could be warmer than the room next door. She was amazed. Here the heat is turned on in all buildings and apartments on November 15 and turned off on March 15.
Saturday, October 18, 2008 – Dad – This morning Mom and I took a taxi to Metro. The taxi cost $1 but we didn’t know if we would make it since the taxi was so very old – no seat belts, and if you are in an accident while riding in a taxi you are to get out and walk rapidly away. The person who “leased” the taxi is responsible to pay for the accident. We bought Australian butter, Chinese bread, Chinese ham for sandwiches, snickers, smoked salmon, an extension cord long enough to reach into the living quarters to attach a heater on the end for heat during the winter, some pancake syrup, and of course mom needed her Pringles chips. I got a call from the Branch President, since I am conducting tomorrow, that about 20 BYU students are coming to church. So, I put in another slice of bread and make sure we have enough water since I am responsible for those sacred elements. This evening all four BYU couples here went out to KFC and ate real chicken. It was our first time and we loved it. They do not have cold slaw or potatoes and gravy, only fries and chicken. It was still very good! After we went to see where the Summers (the couple who is on their fifth year) get their clothes cleaned, where coats are made, where to buy cheap electronic equipment and there were several puppies available for people to purchase. No, not as pets – they raise them and then harvest them for a yummy meal. I remember the same thing happening in Korea.

No comments: