Sunday, November 30, 2008 – Mom – We are still in Beijing!! We again had a breakfast with real milk. We left the hotel at 9:30 and were taken to sacrament meeting of the Beijing branch. It is much larger than our branch and it looked like a real church meeting. Dad and I did not pack church clothes, so that was a little weird, but we were not the only ones dressed casual. Afterwards, we ate an unhealthy lunch at Dairy Queen (yes, a real live Dairy Queen!!) We each had a brownie blizzard and we split a hot dog. Many of the group were then taken to the airport. The rest of us were taken to the Silk Market which is a huge “flea” market with very nice things, mostly clothes, jewelry and crafts. We spent 2 hours there and I succumbed and bought 4 necklaces and Dad found a leather had that he had been looking for since we arrived here. At 3:00pm, the bus took us to airport and our flight left at 6:00. While at the airport, Erik (the young man from our branch who went on the tour), had to go back out through security to get his internet to work. Unfortunately, before he left us, we had traded tickets, so that Dad and I could sit together on the plane. When he tried to come back to our gate, his ticket and his passport did not match and he was refused entry. After much explaining to someone who could speak adequate English, they gave him a new ticket, so he could get through security – but, they tore up Dad’s ticket that we had traded. It was an anxious moment, but finally Erik was able to explain at the ticket counter and they made Dad a new ticket. The flight home was uneventful and our nice taxi driver was inside the airport waiting for us. –Such service!! It is good to be home.
Monday, December 1, 2008 – Dad – Well, our day off. We finished preparing for our weekly lessons. We used the neighbor’s clothes washer to do our clothes. We are waiting on a part for our washer and it hasn’t come yet. Went shopping this afternoon. We purchased jam, paper towels, peanuts, tomatoes, oranges, apples, bread and a battery charger. The total amount spent was $8. A nice warm day with plenty of sunshine.
Tuesday, December 2, 2008 – Mom – I can’t believe it is December. The year has gone by very quickly. We have been pleasantly surprised to see our grocery store decorated with bright gold paper and wreaths hanging on the pillars. Inside the store is a silver Christmas tree with a life-sized Santa Claus who wiggles and dances to music. They have a display of Christmas decorations for a tree and for the house. Plus, they are playing Christmas carols to include Silent Night. We did not expect to hear the religious songs, but we did. Our classes went well. I told my class that during the first week of December we usually put up our Christmas tree and decorate the house. They absolutely love hearing what we do in America – about anything!! We gave each group of 3 students an object (paper clip, scissors, paper, pencil, paper cup, spoon, chop sticks, etc) and asked them to describe 3 uses for the object and to make a skit using the object. It was quite fun and funny. They are very creative and actually love to be in front of the class. The objects are very common, but they do not know the English word for some of the objects. We waited for the clothes washer repairman, but I guess he may have to fix the part himself (scary). Anyway, he did not come today. So after dinner, we went for a walk in the dark. We actually did some exploring and had a good 1 hour walk.
Wednesday, December 3, 2008 – Dad – Yes, the clothes washer repairman came with the refurbished part and it only cost $20. With that kind of pricing maybe we better stay here in China. Dinner (fried rice) cost only $1 and we have enough left over’s for another meal. The weather seems to be changing to very cold – cold enough to finally snow over here. I have been looking on the internet at the Kaysville and St. George areas to purchase a home. Time will tell. I told each class today about our travels to Beijing and they loved it. They really loved the picture books and pictures we shared with them. I find very few of them have been to Beijing. Most come from very poor families who give and sell all for the education of their son or daughter. The children are their retirement and the hope of a brighter and better day.
Thursday, December 4, 2008 – Trent’s Birthday – It was a cold day, although a sunny day. I wore my Chinese long sleeve jacket and my students clapped for me. I started to tell the students about Christmas – what we would be doing the first week in December. I even told them that two of my daughters went shopping at 3:00 am!!!!!! on the day after Thanksgiving. We did 3 more loads of laundry, went to the store for eggs and juice and then to the dirt market for peanuts in the shell and bananas. It was a nice and quiet day.
Friday, December 5, 2008 –Dad – As we went to get on the bus this morning it was approximately 23 degrees. I think this might be the coldest morning yet. Even though back home the temperature is much colder and snowy. We have not had snow yet. After class we prepared for next week, took two papers to be Xeroxed and then went and ate out. I ate a hamburger and Edith a chicken enchilada. A quiet day.
Saturday, December 6, 2008 – Mom – We slept in today!!! Til 7:00 am. We had a special interest Relief Society group activity of shopping at Kung Fu Lu. It was a huge market full of venders of just about everything. In one spot, there were 4 floors worth of shops. We spent most of our time looking at ties, boots, socks and Christmas stuff. There were 5 of us and it was quite a fun day. Two sisters can speak Chinese enough to ask questions for us. I bought two little decorations for our Christmas tree – next year. I am born in the year of the Dog and Dad is born in the year of the Rooster according to the Chinese zodiac. So that is what I have been looking for to put on our tree. I bought a year of the Rat which is 2008, and a year of the Dog. We will have to continue looking for a rooster. We had lunch together at Fly Boy Pizza and ate chimichangas that were very very spicy hot. I arrived home about 3:30pm and then Dad and I went for a walk to see the venders and street people selling their goods near the Dirt Market. We bought some pork noodles for dinner. Time keeps marching on!!!!
Monday, December 1, 2008 – Dad – Well, our day off. We finished preparing for our weekly lessons. We used the neighbor’s clothes washer to do our clothes. We are waiting on a part for our washer and it hasn’t come yet. Went shopping this afternoon. We purchased jam, paper towels, peanuts, tomatoes, oranges, apples, bread and a battery charger. The total amount spent was $8. A nice warm day with plenty of sunshine.
Tuesday, December 2, 2008 – Mom – I can’t believe it is December. The year has gone by very quickly. We have been pleasantly surprised to see our grocery store decorated with bright gold paper and wreaths hanging on the pillars. Inside the store is a silver Christmas tree with a life-sized Santa Claus who wiggles and dances to music. They have a display of Christmas decorations for a tree and for the house. Plus, they are playing Christmas carols to include Silent Night. We did not expect to hear the religious songs, but we did. Our classes went well. I told my class that during the first week of December we usually put up our Christmas tree and decorate the house. They absolutely love hearing what we do in America – about anything!! We gave each group of 3 students an object (paper clip, scissors, paper, pencil, paper cup, spoon, chop sticks, etc) and asked them to describe 3 uses for the object and to make a skit using the object. It was quite fun and funny. They are very creative and actually love to be in front of the class. The objects are very common, but they do not know the English word for some of the objects. We waited for the clothes washer repairman, but I guess he may have to fix the part himself (scary). Anyway, he did not come today. So after dinner, we went for a walk in the dark. We actually did some exploring and had a good 1 hour walk.
Wednesday, December 3, 2008 – Dad – Yes, the clothes washer repairman came with the refurbished part and it only cost $20. With that kind of pricing maybe we better stay here in China. Dinner (fried rice) cost only $1 and we have enough left over’s for another meal. The weather seems to be changing to very cold – cold enough to finally snow over here. I have been looking on the internet at the Kaysville and St. George areas to purchase a home. Time will tell. I told each class today about our travels to Beijing and they loved it. They really loved the picture books and pictures we shared with them. I find very few of them have been to Beijing. Most come from very poor families who give and sell all for the education of their son or daughter. The children are their retirement and the hope of a brighter and better day.
Thursday, December 4, 2008 – Trent’s Birthday – It was a cold day, although a sunny day. I wore my Chinese long sleeve jacket and my students clapped for me. I started to tell the students about Christmas – what we would be doing the first week in December. I even told them that two of my daughters went shopping at 3:00 am!!!!!! on the day after Thanksgiving. We did 3 more loads of laundry, went to the store for eggs and juice and then to the dirt market for peanuts in the shell and bananas. It was a nice and quiet day.
Friday, December 5, 2008 –Dad – As we went to get on the bus this morning it was approximately 23 degrees. I think this might be the coldest morning yet. Even though back home the temperature is much colder and snowy. We have not had snow yet. After class we prepared for next week, took two papers to be Xeroxed and then went and ate out. I ate a hamburger and Edith a chicken enchilada. A quiet day.
Saturday, December 6, 2008 – Mom – We slept in today!!! Til 7:00 am. We had a special interest Relief Society group activity of shopping at Kung Fu Lu. It was a huge market full of venders of just about everything. In one spot, there were 4 floors worth of shops. We spent most of our time looking at ties, boots, socks and Christmas stuff. There were 5 of us and it was quite a fun day. Two sisters can speak Chinese enough to ask questions for us. I bought two little decorations for our Christmas tree – next year. I am born in the year of the Dog and Dad is born in the year of the Rooster according to the Chinese zodiac. So that is what I have been looking for to put on our tree. I bought a year of the Rat which is 2008, and a year of the Dog. We will have to continue looking for a rooster. We had lunch together at Fly Boy Pizza and ate chimichangas that were very very spicy hot. I arrived home about 3:30pm and then Dad and I went for a walk to see the venders and street people selling their goods near the Dirt Market. We bought some pork noodles for dinner. Time keeps marching on!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment